Saturday, March 14, 2009

Legos, Taco Soup and Spankings.

Addie ditched Blake and I today to go hang out with my mom and sisters. Something about dress hunting, but I think my eyes glazed over pretty quickly when they started using mall-speak. Anyway, we started playing with the Legos and got pretty creative. Then we got hungry and reheated the taco soup from last night. After that, I ate two bowls, the Blakester ate about 2/3 of his and was just playing around on the table after I'd asked him to finish. So after giving him about 10 minutes of dinner-playtime, I figured it was time to nap. (and addie threatened me with ME putting him to bed tonight if he didn't nap...) I took the bowl away that he'd been ignoring for the last 10 minutes and said, "Alright! Lets clean up the legos! I'll help you since I was playing with them too." At that point he starts crying and sits on the floor, so I used the addie line of, "Blake, are you obeying all the way right away and with a happy heart?" and he kept sitting there and crying.. hence the Spanking. bleh. :( After the spanking we went back to the living room, cleaned up the legos and whatnot scattered all over the corner of the room, read a book, and now he's napping. (or at least in the room with the door mostly closed and not making too much noise)

2 comments:

  1. Awesome. You're so a dad now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Blake, are you obeying all the way right away and with a happy heart?"

    OK.

    Addie's gone and you say THIS?

    "What would Addie do (WWAD)?" should be out of your thought processes when she is gone.

    This is where the uniqueness of two parents coming together with different philosophies can really help.

    The strategy is to so thoroughly confuse the kid that he just looks at you with glazed eyes and says, "OK, whatever." No screaming, no tears, no messy emotional pickup.

    So, next time try this:

    "Blake. Pick up the legos or I will SO tell your mom."

    I know, I know, I'm working on it. It's not quite perfect yet.

    Good luck.

    (And shhh...you never saw me)

    ReplyDelete